Home » Posts tagged 'latest'
Tag Archives: latest
Researchers could be very close to finding a FIFTH fundamental force. Results from the Large Hadron Collider hint at a particle that doesn’t fit the laws of physics. The new particle is believed to be SIX times heavier than the Higgs boson particle.
Further testing is required which is why more ‘collisions’ will commence next month in order to obtain new data. Scientists believe they will have either the ultimate confirmation or refutation of its existence by summer of 2016.
Professor John Ellis, theoretical physicist at Kings College London told the Mail Online in an interview: ‘it would be something completely beyond the Standard Model, and the tip of an iceberg of a large new set of particles if it exists.’
Two of the detectors, ATLAS and CMS, were used to look for new physics and did so by counting ‘particle decays’ that ended up in TWO photons
Researchers believe that this is a good way to push the limits of physics beyond the known because photons are easy to detect and scientists know exactly what to expect in terms of results of background events.
‘It weighs about 750 GeV, corresponding to about six times heavier than the Higgs boson, and almost 800 times heavier than the proton,’ said Professor Ellis.
- State the Principle of a potentiometer. (The students say that potential drop is proportional to length but the constant quantities are not mentioned)
- How can we increase the sensitivity of a potentiometer?
- Define figure of merit of a galvanometer.
- Which has more resistance – a galvanometer or a milliammeter?
- How does an LED emit light?
- What is the difference between an ordinary diode and an LED?
- Define principal axis of a convex lens?
- What happens to the focal length of a concave mirror if it is immersed in water?
- What are the factors affecting the internal resistance of a cell?
- What are the difference between primary and secondary cell?
- Why can’t we use a dry cell for starting a car?
- What happens to the resistivity of a wire when it is doublefolded?
- How does the resistance of a wire depend on its dimensions?
- Why are the resistances used in a resistance box is like 1,2,2,5,10,20,20,50,100,200,
- Why constantan or manganin wires are used for making the resistance coils in resistance box?
- What is a standard resistance?
- What are the characteristics of a standard resistance?
- What are the precautions to be observed while doing electricity experiments in general?
- What is a galvanometer?
- What is the resistance of an ideal ammeter?
- Why is ammeter always connected in series and voltmeter always connected in parallel?
- How can we convert a galvanometer into an ammeter or a voltmeter?
- What is shunt?
- What is AVO meter?
- What is the effect of temperature on the resistance of a conductor?
- Why does the resistance of a conductor increases with temperature, whereas that of a semiconductor decreases with temperature.
- What is conductance?
- What are non ohmic devices? give an example.
- What are superconductors?
- Define emf
- Why emf is said to be a misnomer?
- What happens if the battery used in the primary circuit of a potentiometer has less emf compared to the emf of the cell used in the secondary circuit?
- If you find that the galvanometer reading is shaky, what error can you expect?
- What do you mean by figure of merit of a galvanometer?
- Why a moving coil galvanometer is called so?
- What is the principle of a galvanometer?
Find below a collection of interesting Articles I came across while Browsing the web. Links are provided to the original website for complete reference LATEST PHYSICS NEWS http://feeds.feedburner.com/physicsnews Can The Invisible Man See? H.G.Wells classic novel “The invisible man” may have inspired a lot of ideas in the new generation, but if we […]
Rev. William R. Callahan Dies at 78, Dissident Who Challenged Vatican
New York Times
He had hoped to be an agronomist, but the Jesuits asked him to study physics because they needed physics professors in their universities. …
Science showcase set Sept. 25 at UNC
… catapults and trebuchets, virtual reality, wave simulation machine and advanced imaging. n Performances including a Phenomenal Physics show, …